LLB, University of Otago
1977, New Zealand
With over 35 years legal practice in major firms, Bill has extensive experience in high value commercial property transactions and inbound investment.
This includes market leading retail, residential, commercial and resort development and investment projects, Overseas Investment Act advice and applications, and the structuring and financing of the appropriate legal entities for such projects.
Bill is recognised as a Band 1 lawyer by Chambers Asia Pacific 2021.
Bill has advised:
- Tauranga Crossing Limited on the current and ongoing development and leasing of the various stages of the Tauranga Crossing Centre, and associated bulk retail centre, at Tauriko, Tauranga
- Fu Wah New Zealand on the acquisition of the long-term ground lease of the former Team New Zealand site for, and the development of, its seven-storey Park Hyatt hotel in the Wynyard Quarter in Auckland
- The Warehouse Group on the acquisition, development, leasing, refurbishment, and sale of its major retail stores and distribution centres over a period of more than 25 years, including the development and sale of the Silverdale Shopping Centre
- McConnell Group on the acquisition, subdivision, development and sales of the Addison and Anselmi master planned residential developments
- Todd Property and its predecessors on the acquisition, subdivision and sale of the master planned residential and retail developments including those at Stonefields, Long Bay, and Ormiston including the recent sale of assets from that portfolio of a value in excess of $500m
- private and corporate international investors on significant applications to the Overseas Investment Office (OIO) for commercial property, residential developments, forests, resorts, farms and lifestyle properties, including: Shanghai Pengxin on the contested but successful OIO application for the purchase of the Crafar Farms portfolio and consenting and acquiring the Synlait Farms portfolio; Shanghai Cred on the acquisition and development of the Carrington Resort; a United States-based private investor on the acquisition and development of the Tara Iti Golf Course Resort at Te Arai; and numerous Chinese-based developers on the acquisition, development and sale of residential developments both as conventional residential subdivisions and apartment developments.