Daniel is an experienced advocate and adviser for complex disputes in commercial, insolvency and public law contexts.
Clients describe him as “a sharp, skilled advocate", who is “extremely easy to work with" and “excellent in landmark cases" (Legal 500, 2016-2020). He is invaluable to have on your side in a difficult case, bringing clarity, creativity, insight and impact across the full range of litigation and ADR procedures.
Daniel also leads the firm's International Law team. He provides thoughtful advice and representation on a wide range of international legal issues. With world-class expertise in cross-border litigation and international arbitration, he publishes widely and is the only New Zealand firm practitioner listed in Who's Who Legal: Arbitration, which says, “He has real genius and a razor-sharp understanding of legal issues, which he translates into effective advocacy" (2019).
He is recognised as a leading lawyer by Chambers Asia Pacific 2020 and Chambers Global 2020 and also recognised as a leading individual for dispute resolution by Legal 500 Asia Pacific, where he is included in the Hall of Fame for having been listed for eight consecutive years.
- Fonterra in an ongoing climate change test case, as well several other disputes, including a Singapore UNCITRAL arbitration (and ancillary court proceedings in New Zealand), a domestic arbitration in New Zealand and High Court litigation, including variously breach of confidence, defamation and commercial contract issues
- New Zealand Steel in a successful judicial review of a Minister's decision not to impose countervailing duties on steel imports from China
- L&M Coal Holdings in successfully suing Bathurst Mining for US$40m in a contractual dispute
- ANZ, BNZ, Westpac, CBA, BTMU and Deutsche Bank in defending a deed of company arrangement entered into by state-owned enterprise Solid Energy following a large-scale debt restructuring
- Government of Kazakhstan in obtaining, from the New Zealand courts, an order of subpoena compelling an internet company to provide data for use in United States court proceedings
- a United Kingdom investor against the Republic of Indonesia, in the first bilateral investment treaty arbitration hearing held in New Zealand.
- Convenor of the New Zealand Law Society Civil Litigation and Tribunals Committee.
- Adjunct lecturer at Victoria University Law School, teaching civil procedure; and regular faculty member at the NZLS Litigation Skills course.
- Fellow of the Arbitrators’ and Mediators’ Institute of New Zealand.
Clients say that Daniel is extremely smart, a great communicator and a really compelling advocate.Chambers (2018)