Specialising in insurance-related and civil litigation, Emily advises insurer and insured clients on professional indemnity, statutory liability, public and products liability and general liability matters.
She has acted for a number of different professionals including valuers, solicitors, real estate agents, accountants, financial advisers, insurance brokers, engineers and architects in professional negligence proceedings.
Emily’s experience representing clients in the courts and alternative dispute forums means that she can adequately prepare clients for these proceedings. A skilled meditator, Emily can guide parties towards a mutually agreed resolution.
- Appeared as junior counsel in a High Court claim successfully defending a firm of solicitors against an alleged breach of undertaking.
- Acted for various individuals/firms on High Court professional negligence claims.
- Acted for numerous professionals in relation to complaints and disciplinary proceedings in the Real Estate Agents Authority, Valuers Registration Board and New Zealand Lawyers and Conveyancers Disciplinary Tribunal.
- Acted for a firm of valuers pursuant to a professional indemnity insurance policy for a complex $100m multi-party claim involving multiple valuations.
- Acted for various professional organisations and individuals, including a number of insurance brokers, on complex insurance claims arising out of the Canterbury earthquakes.
- Appeared as junior counsel in the Royal Commission regarding the Pike River coal mine tragedy for the New Zealand Mines Rescue Service.
- Canterbury Women's Legal Association.