Geof specialises in corporate and securities law, including corporate transactions, capital raisings, listed company advice, corporate governance and general company law.
He draws on this hands-on experience to provide regular commentary on securities law and corporate governance.
An expert on acquisitions, divestments, private investments, joint ventures and other commercial arrangements, Geof acts for numerous public and private sector companies. He also advises public sector bodies and has acted for the Takeovers Panel, several New Zealand government departments, and the governments of Kenya and Fiji on transactional and law reform matters.
Geof is recognised as a leading lawyer by Chambers Asia Pacific 2020 and Chambers Global 2020, and is a regular commentator on securities law and corporate governance.
- Advised the majority owners of Weta Digital on the acquisition of a significant shareholding by interests associated with Sean Parker.
- Instructed Infratil on its $100m private placement and $300m AREO fund-raising to part-fund the acquisition of Vodafone New Zealand.
- Assisted Shell on the sale of its upstream New Zealand assets.
- Advised Treasury on the retail deposit guarantee scheme and wholesale guarantee schemes.
- Acted for a number of New Zealand and overseas government entities (including the Takeovers Panel, Treasury, the Debt Management Office, the Reserve Bank, a number of ministries and the governments of Fiji and Kenya) on commercial and law reform matters.
- Worked with numerous organisations on acquisitions, divestments, takeovers, restructurings, joint ventures, capital-raisings, corporate governance and related matters (including ANZ, Beef + Lamb New Zealand, Centreport, HRL Morrison & Co, Infratil, the Institute of Directors, Intel, Jarden, Kiwibank, Lyttelton Port Company, New Zealand Post, Paymark, PwC, Shell, The Todd Corporation, Transpower, Victoria University of Wellington, UBS, Wingnut Films, XRB and Z Energy).
- Honorary solicitor to the New Zealand Academy of Fine Arts.
- Facilitator for Institute of Directors of New Zealand.