LLB, BCom, University of Otago
2009, New Zealand
A specialist in complex commercial disputes, Jacob has particular experience with disputes relating to property and construction, general contract, banking and finance, and class actions.
Jacob has appeared as counsel in proceedings in District and High Courts throughout New Zealand, and has also represented clients in various alternative dispute resolution forums.
Prior to joining Chapman Tripp in 2017, Jacob worked at Dentons in the UK specialising in banking and finance litigation acting for major UK banks. During this time, Jacob also completed a nine-month secondment to the litigation department at Barclays Bank, where he managed a portfolio of claims across multiple jurisdictions, including large-scale group actions.
- Represented ASX-listed BlueScope Steel defending a claim for breach of contract and statutory duty seeking damages in excess of $500m.
- Representing James Hardie in relation to class action leaky building claims.
- Represented parties on complex Construction Contracts Act adjudication claims.
- Appeared as junior counsel in a multi-million dollar commercial rent review arbitration.
- Advised Mercury on construction contract issues affecting a number of its power plants.
- Acted for Barclays Bank in a significant portfolio of claims brought by customers in relation to the alleged misselling of interest rate derivatives and LIBOR manipulation, while in the UK.
- Member of the New Zealand Society of Construction Law.