Specialising in insurance law, James has particular experience advising insurers on life, disability, liability, and natural disaster claims.
He also has experience advising insurers on non-contentious matters, including regulatory compliance and policy drafting. In addition, James advises a range of other financial services clients, including banks, financial advisers, fintech providers, payment system providers, and other financial institutions with respect to their regulatory and compliance obligations.
Before joining Chapman Tripp, James worked at a specialist insurance litigation firm in London. He acted for insurers on a range of contentious matters, focusing on product liability claims.
- Acting for insurers defending claims under life and disability insurance policies.
- Advising an international insurer in respect of its legal and regulatory obligations in operating in New Zealand.
- Advising a wide range of financial service providers on their obligations under the Financial Markets Conduct Act, Financial Service Providers (Registration and Dispute Resolution) Act, Financial Services Legislation Amendment Act, and the Anti-Money Laundering and Countering Financing of Terrorism Act.
- Acting for an insurer on numerous litigation claims arising out of the Canterbury Earthquakes.
- New Zealand Insurance Lawyers Association.