BA, LLB (Hons), University of Auckland
2018, New Zealand
Specialising in complex commercial litigation and dispute resolution, Matthew advises clients on a wide range of disputes.
Matthew has a broad range of experience, including media, intellectual property and public law as well as general commercial disputes. He has worked on disputes before the Supreme Court, Court of Appeal, High Court, and District Court and has appeared as counsel at the High Court, District Court and Māori Appellate Court.
- Represented an ASX-listed company in a series of contractual disputes with overseas distributors, including successfully opposing an application for an injunction and summary judgment.
- Acted for Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei Trust in its judicial review proceedings against the Crown regarding the Crown’s application of its Treaty Settlement Policy.
- Assisting a leading New Zealand company in an ongoing international trade mark dispute.
- Assisted in a series of high-profile defamation claims and appeals to the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court around qualified privilege and damages.
- Assisted an NZX-listed company in contractual disputes following a failed takeover.
- Assisted MediaWorks in defending a claim to journalistic source protection in the High Court and Court of Appeal.