Michael is a highly experienced commercial litigator and recognised expert in corporate restructuring and insolvency.
He regularly acts on commercial, contract, property and trust disputes. He represents and advises insolvency practitioners, creditors, debtors and directors on all aspects of corporate insolvency processes.
With a particular interest in the law of secured transactions, Michael frequently writes and speaks about Personal Property Securities issues. Throughout his career, Michael has advised insurers and insureds, including defending insured liability claims. He often advises on matters where insurance and insolvency intersect.
Michael is recognised as a Band 1 lawyer by Chambers Asia Pacific 2024, in the Hall of Fame by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2024 and ranked by IFLR1000.
- Defending the directors of Mainzeal Property & Construction (in liquidation) in New Zealand’s largest reckless trading case.
- Advising a major creditor of CBL Corporation.
- Assisting the administrator and liquidator of the Sargeson Apartments in Takapuna.
- Representing various receivers of significant businesses, including the Claymark Group.
- Conducting litigation for receivers of numerous finance companies.
- Member of the Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association of New Zealand member.
- In late 2015, Michael was appointed to a Ministerial Expert Working Group to give advice to the Minister of Commerce and Consumer Affairs on aspects of corporate insolvency.