Robert advises clients on a wide range of tax matters including mergers and acquisitions (M&A), cross-border investments, tax disputes and property taxation, including the recently enacted residential land withholding tax (RLWT).
Prior to joining Chapman Tripp, Robert gained New Zealand tax experience in a Big Four accounting firm, where he specialised in corporate M&A taxation, due diligence and international taxation. He has worked for clients operating in a range of industries including technology, engineering, financial services and manufacturing.
Robert began his career in Chicago where he assisted SME business owners with corporate structuring, taxation, estate planning and succession planning.
- Advised on the tax aspects of significant M&A deals including Vector’s sale of its gas transmission and distribution assets to First State Funds for $952.5m.
- Counselled Solid Energy’s five major bank lenders in relation to its $450m voluntary administration.
- Instructed on various aspects of tax disputes with the Inland Revenue, including advising multinationals on dependent agent permanent establishment issues.
- Advised high net worth individuals on tax residency and the transitional resident foreign-sourced income tax exemption.
- Undertaken tax due diligence for multiple technology companies preparing for IPOs on the NZX and ASX.
- Obtained determinations from Inland Revenue on alternative spreading methods under the financial arrangements rules.
- Assisted large New Zealand residential property developers with obtaining certificates of exemption from RLWT.