Thomas specialises in corporate and commercial matters with a focus on mergers and acquisitions, property and leases, construction, contracts, insurance, and professional liability.
While at Canterbury University, Thomas received a number of prizes, including the Gold Medal for being the top law graduate of his year. From 2007 to 2008, he took his Master of Laws at Cambridge University as a W.M. Tapp Scholar, and commenced his career as a Judges' Clerk to The Honourable Justice John McGrath in the Supreme Court from 2009 to 2010.
- Acted for the Ministry of Education in relation to its capital works construction programme for its national schools property portfolio.
- Acted for Gough Holdings Limited on the sale of its CAT and Transport businesses to Sime Darby.
- Acted for ASX-listed QMS Media on the merger of its New Zealand businesses with MediaWorks Investments.
- Advised a range of clients on their rights and obligations under construction contracts and the Construction Contracts Act.
- Acted on a range of property matters including acquisition and sale of commercial and residential property and leasing matters.
- Advised insurance companies and policy holders on indemnity and policy response.
- Society of Construction Law Zealand.
- Institute of Finance Professionals New Zealand.
- New Zealand Insurance Law Association.