Specialising in construction and major projects, Tom works with clients on domestic and international projects across a range of sectors including downstream oil and gas, energy (including renewables), health, commercial and residential.
Tom has particular experience in the energy sector and has advised clients on energy projects in New Zealand, as well as IPP energy projects in the Pacific. A significant amount of this experience has involved project finance transactions.
He is experienced in advising on various project contracts, including complex construction contracts, concession/offtake agreements, operating agreements, project management agreements and other project documents.
- Advised Ballance Agri-Nutrients as Project Sponsor on a green energy joint venture with Hiringa Energy developing a 24MW wind farm and green hydrogen production facility at Kapuni in Taranaki, New Zealand.
- Acted for Solomon Islands Electricity Authority on the Tina River Hydropower Plant Project, the Solomon Islands’ first IPP project involving the construction and ongoing operation of a 15MW hydroelectric power plant.
- Advised Tonga Power and the Electric Power Corporation of Samoa on various renewable energy projects, including the development of solar PV plants and battery energy storage systems.
- Assisted Mercury with various construction and supply contracts relating to its power plant assets.
- Advised the Ministry of Health on its health facility construction programme, including advising on its Christchurch Hospital project and the New Dunedin Hospital project.
- Assisted Auckland International Airport with various construction contracts and consultancy agreements as part of its capital expansion projects including its Terminal Integration Project.
- Member of the Society of Construction Law New Zealand.