An experienced insurance and commercial litigation lawyer, Willie focuses on professional indemnity matters.
Willie has advised clients on a wide range of insurance issues including professional indemnity, public liability, statutory liability and fire and general matters. He also has broad experience in a variety of commercial litigation and sports law.
Known for being friendly and approachable, Willie works closely with clients to understand the specific outcome they want to achieve and the individual factors that drive them. Building this rapport and understanding upfront means he can provide practical and commercial advice.
- Advising a number of engineers, architects and surveyors on professional negligence claims, including complex High Court matters relating to buildings alleged to have been defectively designed which suffered damage in the Canterbury earthquake sequence.
- Acting for solicitors on professional negligence claims and disciplinary matters, including appearing before the New Zealand Lawyers and Conveyancers Disciplinary Tribunal.
- Representing real estate agents on professional disciplinary complaints, and conducting defended hearings on misconduct charges and appeals to the Real Estate Agents Disciplinary Tribunal.
- Advising an incorporated society in relation High Court proceedings for a complex commercial insurance claim valued at over $15m for earthquake damage to one of its assets.
- Assisting a number of clients with property-related disputes, including appearing in the Court of Appeal in a claim relating to impediments to an easement and in the High Court to obtain orders modifying restrictive covenants imposed on a property within a multi-lot subdivision.
- Appearing before New Zealand Rugby’s Judicial Committee in anti-doping proceedings.
- Insurance Network (Christchurch branch) committee member.
- New Zealand Insurance Law Association.