LLB, BA, University of Canterbury
2008, New Zealand
Willie is an experienced litigator specialising in commercial litigation and dispute resolution, and liability insurance matters.
He has appeared as leading counsel in the High Court and the Court of Appeal, and in specialist tribunals including the Lawyers and Conveyancers Disciplinary Tribunal and the Real Estate Agents Disciplinary Tribunal, and before New Zealand Rugby’s Judicial Committee. He has broad experience in a variety of commercial litigation and sports law, and has advised a number of major insurers on a wide range professional indemnity, public liability and statutory liability claims.
Known for being friendly and approachable, Willie works closely with clients to understand the specific outcome they want to achieve and the individual factors that drive them. Building this rapport and understanding upfront means he can provide practical and commercial advice.
- Successfully representing a professional rugby league player in High Court proceedings against his former manager for fraud and misappropriation of funds.
- Advising New Zealand’s oldest sporting club in High Court proceedings relating to a complex commercial insurance claim valued at over $15m for earthquake damage to one of its assets.
- Advising a national retailer in relation to a High Court application for ratification of a share buy-back transaction.
- Successfully representing a homeowner in the High Court and Court of Appeal in a property dispute matter relating to impediments to an easement.
- Representing a law firm in a High Court solicitor’s negligence proceeding.
- Advising a number of engineers and architects on building and construction professional negligence claims, including complex High Court matters relating to buildings alleged to have been defectively designed which suffered damage in the Canterbury earthquake sequence.
- Representing a player in anti-doping proceedings before New Zealand Rugby’s Judicial Committee.
- Board Member of the Templeton Golf Club Incorporated.
- Sports Tribunal Legal Assistance Panel.
- Insurance Network (Christchurch branch).
- New Zealand Insurance Law Association.