Ben is an experienced patent attorney with qualifications in both engineering and law, and provides pragmatic intellectual property advice to a broad range of clients.
He advises on patentability, patent procurement, freedom-to-operate, and infringement and invalidity proceedings worldwide in all areas of engineering. Ben has deep experience in the medical device business and working with inventors across a diverse range of technologies including electrical and mechanical transducers, solar power systems, agritech products, and consumer electronics. He also advises on registered design rights and copyright.
Recognised as a Notable Practitioner by IP Stars, Ben has been involved in more than 50 patent opposition proceedings at the Intellectual Property Office of New Zealand (IPONZ) and IP Australia, as well as patent infringement and invalidity proceedings in New Zealand, Australia, Europe and the US. He has also been recognised as a Notable Practitioner by Managing IP 2022, and as a Rising Star by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2024.
As a Director of Chapman Tripp Patents, Ben’s focus on medical device technology tracks increasing demand for respiratory medical products given aging populations and, more recently, the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Experience working as an in-house patent attorney overseeing prosecution of a large global patent portfolio.
- Providing freedom-to-operate advice on several award-winning and commercially successful medical devices.
- Assisting a leading multinational medical device manufacturer in asserting their patent rights in simultaneous patent infringement proceedings in the United States, United Kingdom and Germany.
- Advising in the defence of simultaneous patent infringement proceedings in New Zealand, Germany and the United States.
- Fellow of the New Zealand Institute of Patent Attorneys (NZIPA)
- Member of the Asian Patent Attorney Association (APAA)
- Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)