In restructuring and insolvency, there will be many competing interests in situations of great stress where there are very few winners. Handling these transactions requires great experience and finesse in order to judge what can be achieved and to obtain the best outcome.
We act for corporate debtors and their directors, lenders, creditors, receivers, liquidators and administrators. At the first signs of distress, we focus on advisory support, turnaround, restructuring and rescue. Where formal corporate rescue and insolvency processes are unavoidable, we assist insolvency practitioners and others with potential claims and asset realisation strategies. The advice we provide on risk, strategy and tactics is focused on your desired result: an efficient outcome and finding ways to bring issues to a commercially sensible resolution wherever possible.
Known as one of New Zealand’s strongest Restructuring & Insolvency teams, we support you through all stages including:
- debt restructuring, special situations and workouts
- voluntary administration, Part 14 creditor compromises and schemes of arrangement
- directors’ duties and corporate governance in distressed situations
- distressed debt transactions and distressed asset acquisition
- receiverships, liquidations and security enforcement.
Our Corporate Insolvency Law Compendium provides up to date statutes, regulations, case law and other rules.
- Advising a leading bank on the voluntary administration and liquidation of NZX-listed CBL Corporation, one of the biggest and most complex corporate insolvencies in New Zealand in recent years.
- Advising various private equity portfolio companies on their restructuring, through the divestment of assets, reduction of debt and amending existing facilities.
- Representing the administrators of the companies within Australian retailer, the Colette group, including CBCH New Zealand.
- Representing the receivers of Claymark Group, a substantial timber processing company.
- Representing four of the former directors of Mainzeal Property & Construction, in litigation pursued by Mainzeal’s liquidators.
- Advising a number of international groups on New Zealand recognition of US Chapter 11 and other international insolvency processes.
Ranked Tier One for restructuring and insolvency work.Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020 | Chambers Asia Pacific 2020