Increasing investor interest, evolving data capability and rapid advances in markets are aligning to create the conditions for a growth surge in impact investment in New Zealand.
Charitable foundations and philanthropists are increasingly pursuing strategies that seek measurable social and environmental benefits from their investments.
Impact investment is one responsible investment approach (as categorised by the Responsible Investment Association of Australasia) and can take many forms – debt products including green bonds, social bonds, or sustainability linked bonds, equity or other investments in businesses creating impact.
Our multi-disciplinary team has a strong reputation for designing and implementing investment structures that are ‘fit for purpose’. Our specialists have backgrounds in sustainable finance, social finance, funds, charitable structuring, corporate governance, iwi and government, and are active and vocal supporters in the sustainable and impact finance space.
- Advised Foundation North on establishing their impact-first limited partnership investment structure and associated contractual arrangements investing in increased equity, social inclusion and regenerative environments for Tāmaki Makaurau and Te Taitokerau.
- Advised New Zealand Green Investment Finance (NZGIF) on a $15m credit facility to Centreport to fund qualifying projects at the Wellington port to help NZGIF achieve its overall purpose of accelerating low emissions investment in New Zealand.
- Represented iwi and a prominent philanthropist on the structuring of a transformative impact investment model. This involved the design of a multi-limited partnership investment structure with central ownership that uses a tikanga lens for decision making, relationships and investments.
- Reviewed documentation for clients making investments with social impact outcomes.
- Assisted a number of community organisations to develop a constitutional framework to empower them to invest their assets in mission-aligned projects.
- Advised ANZ Bank New Zealand on its innovative ESG facility linked loan for Synlait Milk. This is the first time any New Zealand company has agreed with its bank to link its sustainability agenda to the cost of funds.
- Advising Foundation North on its investment into Community Finance's social housing impact investment warehouse programme.
- Assisted charitable and community trusts in making impact investments with advice or constitutional change.