Speak to our experts
Chapman Tripp is known as the go‑to firm for complex, business-critical strategic mandates – we advise on the full spectrum of corporate and commercial law.
Our focus is to help you to achieve a competitive edge in today’s market with clear, commercially focused advice. We provide specialist expert advice to our clients, helping to develop strategies, manage projects and execute transactions.
We have consistently advised on more M&A deals than any other New Zealand firm, as evidenced in Mergermarket, Bloomberg and Thomson Reuters M&A league tables. We have also advised on two thirds of the IPOs and NZX Main Board listings over the last ten years.
Providing international and New Zealand clients with the full spectrum of corporate and commercial legal advice, that's clear and fit for purpose, including:
- domestic and cross-border M&A
- equity capital market transactions
- complex projects and contracting arrangements
- structuring, governance and advisory
- project management.
Our Company and Securities Law Compendium makes it easy for you to access relevant links to core company and securities law, and recent developments.
Some of our recent notable highlights include advising:
- InfraRed Capital Partners and Northleaf Capital Partners on the NZ$1.7b acquisition of Vodafone’s passive mobile tower assets
- Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board (OTPP) on OTPP’s NZ$1.115b acquisition of Spark’s passive mobile towers business
- Partners Life and its shareholders on the sale to Tokyo-listed insurer Dai-ichi Life for approximately $1bn
- Kiwi Group Holdings Limited on the sale of Kiwi Wealth to Fisher Funds for NZ$310 million
- Z Energy on its $2b takeover by Ampol by way of scheme of arrangement
- Queensland Investment Corporation on the acquisition of the Evolution Healthcare Group
- The New Zealand Treasury on Air New Zealand’s NZ$2.2b recapitalisation package, including the New Zealand Government’s participation in Air New Zealand’s $1.2b underwritten rights issue, and associated funding arrangements
- Morgan Stanley Infrastructure Partners on the acquisition of the StraitNZ business which operates the Bluebridge Cook Strait ferries from CPE Capital and others.
- Precinct Properties New Zealand on its NZ$1b property fund joint venture with GIC,
- The Selwyn Foundation on sale of six retirement villages and aged care facilities to listed retirement operator Metlifecare for NZ$212m
- Arvida Group on its NZ$345m acquisition of the Arena Living retirement village portfolio from leading global investment fund, Blackstone
- Mercury on the acquisition of Trustpower’s retail business, including electricity and gas supply, broadband and mobile phone services (NZ$441m)
- Mercury on a consortium bid with PowAR to acquire Tilt under a NZ$3.24b scheme of arrangement whereby Mercury acquired Tilt's New Zealand assets for ~NZ$770m enterprise value
- Pencarrow Private Equity on the sale of its equity interests in Seqequent to American-based software development company, Bentley Systems
Ranked Tier One for corporate work.Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2022 | Chambers Asia Pacific 2022 | Chambers Global 2021