Speak to our experts
After a long period of relative stability and growth in global trade, the world economy entered a period of turbulence and uncertainty in recent years due in large part to the trade wars between the US and China and a global pushback against an open, integrated global economy.
The COVID-19 pandemic has since brought the world to its knees, bringing much of global commerce to a halt and rendering the future of the global economy as uncertain as it ever has been.
If there was ever a time to think strategically, it is now. Known for providing a combination of strategic thinking and tactical advice, our dedicated international trade and investment specialists help you navigate international laws and regulations. We work with governments, regional bodies, regulators, development partners, developers, international banks, investors and private sector businesses in New Zealand, the Pacific and further afield including in Asia and the Americas. As well as our core international trade and investment expertise, we advise on public international law issues and comparative regulatory reform.
Providing you with sage advice so you can focus on your business, we help with:
- import and export formalities and requirements
- sanctions and export controls
- World Trade Organisation (WTO) rules and dispute resolution
- rights and obligations under free trade agreements
- customs law
- anti-dumping and countervailing duty investigations
- commercial aspects of importing and exporting (such as payment terms, intellectual property protection).
- Working with eight Pacific Islands to enable them to ratify and implement PACER Plus.
- Representing industry in trade remedies investigations, including a successful High Court challenge against a Government decision declining to impose countervailing duties on Chinese steel.
- Lodging a successful Customs Appeal Authority application to overturn a ruling denying preferential tariffs under the New Zealand Korea Free Trade Agreement.
- Advising on correct classification for a New Zealand exporter of goods for entry into the US market.
- Advising on securing a customs tariff concession under section 8 of the Tariff Act.
- Advising overseas clients on New Zealand import controls and regulations.
- Developing export controls and sanctions contractual clauses for exporting clients.
- Advising on the implications of sanctions including those on Iran, North Korea and Venezuela.
- Assisting an industry association in discussions with the Government by providing advice on the WTO consistency of certain measures by major trading partners.
- Advising overseas clients on various New Zealand regulatory settings.
- Advising a UK-based client on Australia’s international trade commitments in the financial services sector.
- Advising the private sector on anti-bribery and corruption issues.
- Assisting with design of a public-facing website to explain international trade obligations.
- Providing training to overseas government officials on trade and investment law.