Matt is an experienced litigator focused on commercial dispute resolution, investigations and white collar criminal matters. He is a widely respected expert in trade practice law and intellectual property where he advises multinationals and the country’s leading companies on their most pressing matters.
He is the author of New Zealand's principal antitrust textbook, New Zealand Competition Law and Policy, and writes for a range of common law-based legal journals.
Matt is recognised as a leading individual in competition law and in the Hall of Fame for intellectual property by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2022, a leading lawyer by Chambers Asia Pacific 2022, and a Global Leader providing IP value creation expertise by IAM, the world’s leading IP business media platform. He has also been recognised as a trade mark star by Managing IP 2022.
Matt also is a Director of Chapman Tripp Patents.
- Acting for six major Hollywood studios securing ex parte civil search orders, asset freezing orders and interim injunctive relief that took down one of the world's largest online piracy operations.
- Appearing for ANZ Bank in successful Supreme Court litigation over the sale of financial derivatives.
- Advising Facebook on the Royal Commission of Inquiry into the attack on Christchurch Mosques.
- Acting for clients on financial market behaviour, cartel and trade practice investigations and prosecutions.
- Successfully defending clients such as global tobacco firm, Philip Morris, on criminal charges advanced at trial in the District Court.
- Acting as counsel to clients including LG Display, Allegion and Fisher & Paykel Healthcare on complex patent litigation in the High Court and Court of Appeal.
- Securing Commerce Commission approval for clients including Sky Television, NZME and Ingenico, among many others, on high-profile mergers and joint venture arrangements.