Changes to minimum wages, extended paid parental leave, contractors rights and the return of collective bargaining coupled with an ageing workforce and an employee favoured market puts growing pressure on an organisation to be across changes to legislation.
Whether you want us there every step of the way or just for a quick chat to check you’re on the right track, we can help. We can provide you with business as usual advice on best practice policies and minor disputes, through to in‑depth advice during mergers, acquisitions and restructurings. We act for many of New Zealand’s leading corporates, multinationals and public sector organisations, adapting our approach to meet and respond to specific needs.
Our national team of employment specialists works with you throughout the employment life cycle, providing pragmatic and solutions focused advice:
- ensuring new staff members are on the right terms
- preparing bespoke employment agreements, complex incentive schemes and template agreements
- advising on all union-related matters such as negotiations, collective bargaining, disputes, mediations and facilitations
- providing front-end advice during due diligence and implementation phases of corporate transactions, including large mergers and acquisitions and restructurings
- advising on high profile and sensitive matters, such as disputes during an employment relationship or after its termination
- appearing with you in mediations or taking charge of proceedings in the Employment Relations Authority, the Employment Court and beyond if required.
- Acting on the employment aspects of Shell New Zealand’s sale of its Kapuni onshore oil and gas field to Todd Energy.
- Representing Pan Pac New Zealand in Employment Court proceedings on a successful appeal from the Employment Relations Authority.
- Advising Fuji Xerox New Zealand on various employment matters arising out of its parent company’s investigation into accounting irregularities within the New Zealand business.
- Defending Fuji Xerox New Zealand in relation to a personal grievance claim (including successfully defending a claim for urgent reinstatement) by its former Managing Director.
- Working with numerous District Health Boards on employment matters, including restraints of trade, Holiday Act claims, disciplinary processes, workplace stress, restructuring, redundancy and grievances.
An ability to couple strong technical expertise with pragmatism and understand the risks inherent in doing business.Chambers Asia Pacific 2020