Graeme is a key member in our Tax team, as well as our Māori legal group, Te Waka Ture.
A tax specialist, Graeme has advised the New Zealand Law Society on matters relating to taxation law reform. He has established an open line of communication and consultation with Inland Revenue, which Graeme is a regular presenter at taxation seminars on income tax and goods and services topics.
Graeme provides legal counsel on a wide range of New Zealand tax matters including business structures, reorganisations, merger and acquisition transactions and tax disputes. He also advises on cross-border structuring issues as well as debt and equity issuances, including Kauri bond programmes.
He is recognised as a Band 1 lawyer by Chambers Asia Pacific 2022 and as a leading individual by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2022.
- Fuji Xerox on a range of tax matters including engagement with the New Zealand tax authority and tax related structuring and compliance work
- Hugh Green on the structure of its property holdings and developments, reorganisation of the internal group structure and a number of property acquisitions and disposals
- Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei Whai Rawa on its savings and investment schemes and on tax aspects of its significant and complex Treaty of Waitangi settlement
- A number of multinational clients on negotiations of high value cross-border arrangements and disputes with the Inland Revenue, including disputes relating to transfer pricing and cross-border financing
- EROAD, a technology services company, on tax aspects of its $46m IPO and NZX main board listing
- KordaMentha on the tax aspects of the MediaWorks receivership, including the $285m sale of MediaWorks and associated transfer of assets to new holding company MediaWorks Holdings
- Property investors on GST offsets and disputes.
- Member of the Tax Law Committee.