Specialising in financial services regulation, funds and corporate law, Kara works with a wide range of range of financial services clients and other corporates.
Kara’s experience spans more than 25 years across corporate, commercial, securities and financial services law. She has a particular focus on managed funds, debt capital markets, insurance, and fintech innovation.
Known as a trusted adviser, Kara is regularly asked by clients to advise on wholesale and retail investment fund structures, debt issues, insurance law and related financial services regulatory compliance and risk.
- Advised a major financial services business on all aspects of its insurance, funds management, non-bank deposit taker and financial advice regulatory compliance as well as governance matters and restructuring advice.
- Acted for a licensed fund manager on the acquisition of the management rights in relation to a third party KiwiSaver scheme and superannuation scheme.
- Advised a range of financial institutions on their responses to the regulators' 2019 reviews of banks' and life insurers' conduct.
- Advised on the contractual and governance framework for the newly launched API Centre by Payments NZ Limited, which will support open banking initiatives in New Zealand.
- Assisted a range of financial service providers on transition to and compliance with the Financial Services Legislation Amendment Act and the imminent changes to the Financial Advice regulatory regime.
- Advised a new licensed life insurer on its range of life and disability policies, and regulatory compliance, including for compliance with the Insurance (Prudential Supervision) Act.
- Member of the Institute of Finance Professionals New Zealand.
- Member of the Financial Services Council of New Zealand.