LLB (Hons), University of Canterbury
1985, New Zealand
Specialising in financial services regulation, funds and corporate law, Kara works with a wide range of range of financial services clients and other corporates.
Kara’s experience spans more than 25 years across corporate, commercial, securities and financial services law. She has a particular focus on managed funds, debt capital markets, insurance, and fintech innovation.
Known as a trusted adviser, Kara is regularly asked by clients to advise on wholesale and retail investment fund structures, debt issues, insurance law and related financial services regulatory compliance and risk. She is also a member of our Consulting advisory team.
Kara is recognised as an Associate to Watch by Chambers Asia Pacific 2023.
- Advised a major financial services business on all aspects of its insurance, funds management, non-bank deposit taker and financial advice regulatory compliance as well as governance matters and restructuring advice.
- Acted for a licensed fund manager on the acquisition of the management rights in relation to a third party KiwiSaver scheme and superannuation scheme.
- Advised a range of financial institutions on their responses to the regulators' 2019 reviews of banks' and life insurers' conduct.
- Advised on the contractual and governance framework for the newly launched API Centre by Payments NZ Limited, which will support open banking initiatives in New Zealand.
- Assisted a range of financial service providers on transition to and compliance with the Financial Services Legislation Amendment Act and the imminent changes to the Financial Advice regulatory regime.
- Advised a new licensed life insurer on its range of life and disability policies, and regulatory compliance, including for compliance with the Insurance (Prudential Supervision) Act.
- Member of the Institute of Finance Professionals New Zealand.
- Member of the Financial Services Council of New Zealand.