Specialising in corporate finance law, Alan has in-depth knowledge of capital markets, structured finance, institutional lending and derivatives.
Alan is an expert in financial regulatory compliance and market product issues. He is often called on to advise New Zealand banks, other domestic and international financial institutions and a range of corporates on matters relating to their financial products, funding programmes, derivatives and financial regulatory requirements, including debt, collective investment schemes, derivatives and financial market infrastructures.
- Represented Westpac New Zealand and Westpac Banking Corporation on all aspects of the establishment, issuance under, and ongoing maintenance by Westpac New Zealand of a range of international and domestic capital markets programmes. This included Commercial Paper, Medium Term Note, Covered Bond, US144A and Residential Mortgage-Backed Security Programmes.
- Worked with Westpac Banking Corporation on a public offer of $400m Tier 2 regulatory capital debt securities under the Financial Markets Conduct regime.
- Advised Chorus and Christchurch City Holdings on various issues of fixed-rate bonds to institutional and New Zealand retail investors.
- Advised the Crown (Debt Management) in connection with the re-documentation of its funding programmes (Kiwi Bonds, Nominal Bonds, Treasury Bills and Inflation-indexed Bonds) for issuance under the Financial Markets Conduct Act.
- Worked with ACC on all aspects of its substantial equity and debt investments into Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency's Transmission Gully Motorway Public Private Partnership, as a key project sponsor.
- Advised a range of clients on various securities law, financial services legislation, markets product issues and Reserve Bank regulatory issues (including anti-money laundering, covered bond legislation, FATCA, AEOI and Basel III capital requirements) and a broad range of swaps and derivatives matters, including commodities based derivatives, credit enhanced swaps, collateralisation arrangements, funds management derivatives and futures markets (including the Dodd–Frank reforms and central clearing party requirements).
- Member of Institute of Finance Professionals New Zealand.