BCA, LLB (1st Class Hons), Victoria University of Wellington
2005, New Zealand
Emma specialises in corporate and commercial law, focusing on superannuation, KiwiSaver, managed funds and privacy/official information.
She provides strategic advice to a variety of clients, including fund managers of numerous retail superannuation and KiwiSaver schemes. She also advises other financial service providers and a range of clients on privacy and official information issues, and is an expert on qualifying recognised overseas pension scheme (QROPS) matters.
Her expertise on funds and superannuation matters has seen her seconded to three large financial services firms.
She presents at industry seminars and regularly writes articles on topical issues, offering practical thoughts and proactive solutions for clients.
Emma is recognised as a rising star by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023.
- In 2020/2021, she advised AMP Wealth on transferring its $10b funds under management from AMP Capital’s to BlackRock’s investment funds, AMP Life on the transfer of its $600m New Zealand assets to facilitate its purchase by Resolution Life, a bidder for the Westpac Life insurance business and a bidder for Aon’s KiwiSaver and workplace savings scheme management business, and assisted with Partners Life’s acquisition of BNZ Life.
- Advised a leading fund manager on the acquisition of the management rights for two significant funds involving approximately 7,000 scheme participants, and advised on innovative legal and commercial solutions including possible novel exemptions.
- Assisted many clients transition to the new Financial Markets Conduct regime.
- Reduced commercial costs for QROPS clients through the innovative application of UK pension law.
- Assisted in managing end-to-end preliminary documentation and legal aspects for establishing one of the largest KiwiSaver schemes, the ASB KiwiSaver Scheme, and established six other highly visible KiwiSaver schemes across a range of fund managers.
- Advised major banks, medium and large insurers, mortgage brokers and KiwiSaver providers on issues relating to the financial adviser and anti-money laundering regimes and now the new financial adviser regime.
- Advised various insurance companies on the effect of the Insurance (Prudential Supervision) Act on their businesses including matters of compliance, particularly the governance, solvency and statutory fund aspects of the regime.
- Provided advice to a large government agency in relation to novel privacy issues, and to a range of clients in response to Official Information Act requests.
- Financial Services Council.
- Auckland Women Lawyers Association.