Simon specialises in competition, regulatory and public law.
With extensive experience across New Zealand and overseas, Simon advises on the full range of competition and regulatory matters including merger control, competition and regulatory enforcement and investigations, price control and other regulatory and public law issues.
He has particular expertise in the utilities sector, covering electricity, gas, telecommunications, postal services and airports. He also assists clients with consents and enforcement proceedings under the Overseas Investment Act.
- Advising EROAD on its merger clearance application to acquire Coretex.
- Advising Cargotec on its New Zealand clearance application to acquire Konecranes.
- Acting for Pacific Radiology Group on its acquisitions of Auckland Radiology Group and Bay Radiology in parallel transactions.
- Assisted regulated utilities in the electricity, gas pipelines, telecommunications and airport sectors in relation to price-quality path determinations and their engagement with the Commerce Commission.
- Advised a number of electricity lines companies in relation to Commerce Commission enforcement proceedings for non-compliance with price-quality determinations.
- Secured Commerce Commission clearance for the global mergers of Luxottica/Essilor and Boehringer Ingelheim/Sanofi.
- Represented parties successfully in Overseas Investment Office consent and enforcement proceedings.