Simon specialises in competition, regulatory and public law.
With extensive experience across New Zealand and overseas, Simon advises on the full range of competition and regulatory matters including merger control, enforcement and investigations, price control and other regulatory and public law issues.
He has particular expertise in the utilities sector, covering electricity, gas, telecommunications, postal services and airports. He also assists clients with consents and enforcement proceedings under the Overseas Investment Act.
- Assisted several regulated utilities in the preparation of price-quality path proposals and their engagement with the Commerce Commission.
- Advised a number of electricity lines companies in relation to Commerce Commission enforcement proceedings for non-compliance with price-quality determinations.
- Advised Chorus on Commission determinations of regulated pricing and the implementation of the new regulatory framework for fibre services.
- Secured Commerce Commission clearance for the global mergers of Luxottica/Essilor and Boehringer Ingelheim/Sanofi.
- Acted for Godfrey Hirst in relation to the Commerce Commission’s authorisation of the merger of the wools scouring businesses of Cavalier and NZWSI.
- Represented parties successfully in Overseas Investment Office enforcement proceedings.