China and New Zealand’s trading relationship has grown three‑fold since the China‑New Zealand Free Trade Agreement was signed in 2008. Chinese investors are increasingly looking for opportunities to invest in New Zealand in areas including food production, agriculture, property, tourism and leisure and infrastructure.
Through our China desk, we provide Chinese investors and companies with focused, strategic advice on everything from small daily transactions to complex legal matters. Our close relationships with international and local law firms in China and business partners on the ground in Shanghai and Beijing, means we can provide you with the right connections and support for your needs.
Advising major New Zealand and multinational players in all industries and sectors of the economy including:
- construction and infrastructure
- real estate investment and development
- primary products (including dairy, forestry, wool and beef)
- Acting for all three Chinese banks operating in New Zealand – China Construction Bank (CCB), the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC), and Bank of China (BOC) – on various matters across the full spectrum of legal and compliance.
- Advising on Overseas Investment Office applications for many Chinese clients in agribusiness, real estate (including residential development), forestry, tourism, dairy and food. This includes advising Shanghai Pengxin on its acquisition of the former Synlait Farms and its high profile purchase of over 7,800 hectares of substantial dairy farming assets.
- Helping with significant cross-border, merger and acquisition deals involving Chinese parties including the $950m sale of Transpacific Industries Group’s New Zealand waste management business to Beijing Capital Group, Beijing General Aviation on its 50% equity investment in Pacific Aerospace and establishing a joint venture with Pacific Aerospace called Beijing Pan Pacific Aerospace Technology.
- Advising major Chinese clients on large-scale development and construction projects including Fu Wah International Group on its luxury Hyatt Hotel project on Auckland’s waterfront, and high-end residential projects for Hengyi Group (The Pacifica) and Shundi Group (85 Customs Street).
Ranked for our China desk based in New Zealand.Chambers Global 2018