With increased demand for construction across both private and public sectors over the last decade, industry participants must contend with limited resources as well as a constantly evolving procurement landscape.
You can draw on our immense local and international construction and major projects experience to help make your project a success.
As well as providing you with market knowledge and commercial acumen, we bring a pragmatic and solutions-based approach to the table. More than ‘just the lawyers’, we form an integral part of your project delivery team. We specialise in resolving construction disputes and have worked on many of New Zealand’s most significant construction and major project disputes – across the renewable energy, healthcare, education, ports, water and transport sectors. Working alongside our clients we help to manage conflicts, mitigate damage and find solutions.
At the forefront of the New Zealand construction and major projects sector, we act for the full spectrum of industry participants, advising on all stages of a construction project including:
- procurement strategy
- procurement models such as build only, D&B, DB&O, EPCM, alliancing, BOOT, PPP; and industry forms of construction contract such as FIDIC, NZS and AS
- drafting and negotiating project documentation including joint venture agreements, EPC/turnkey contracts, operation and maintenance contracts, subcontracts, supply and service contracts
- project management
- construction litigation and disputes
- consultant appointments and early contractor involvement.
- Advising Mercury on its new 222MW Turitea Wind Farm Project near Palmerston North. This included providing help on the construction and long-term maintenance agreements for 60 wind turbines that will generate 222MW of renewable energy – New Zealand’s largest renewable project.
- Advising Mercury on major geothermal power plant assets procurement, including assisting Te Ahi O Maui with the development of a 25MW geothermal power plant.
- Advising the Ministry of Health on New Zealand's largest ever health facility construction programme worth between $2.5b and $3b. This included Burwood Hospital and Christchurch Hospital's Acute Services and the Outpatients Building, Greymouth Hospital and Dunedin Hospital. We acted as the Ministry’s legal provider for the construction programme (demolition, refurbishment and new build), providing advice for design and procurement, bid evaluation and contracts, contractor claim management, dispute and resolution, assistance with governance, insurance and asset transfer.
- Assisting the Ministry of Education on its schools construction programme, run by its Education Infrastructure Service and National Transportables Programme, for the procurement of transportable modular classroom. We also provided additional advice on various construction, leasing and property matters throughout New Zealand for a school capital works construction programme of over $1b during 2016-19.
- Assisting Solomon Islands Electricity Authority (SIEA), in conjunction with International Finance Corporation as transaction advisor, on a new hydroelectric power plant project – Solomon Islands’ first IPP and SIEA’s first independent power producer project involving construction and ongoing operation of the 15MW hydroelectric power plant.
- Advising Fu Wah on the development of the Park Hyatt international standard 5-star hotel on the Auckland waterfront.
- Helping Napier Port with construction aspects of Napier Port’s multi-purpose, No. 6 Wharf Development and associated dredging works; including construction of a new 350 metre wharf over the next two years to future-proof the port.
- Advising Lyttelton Port Company on a range of port recovery projects following extensive damage to its port infrastructure during the 2011 Christchurch earthquakes.
- Advising Crown Irrigation Investments on its project finance lending to all irrigation schemes in the South Island.
- Assisting Queenstown Lakes District Council on various infrastructure projects including construction of Eastern Access Route linking SH6 at Frankton with the Frankton industrial area, on a fixed term contract for the operation, maintenance and management of its three waters and roading assets, and on a Design, Build and Operate contract for its upgrade of the Shotover wastewater treatment plant.
- Assisting The Electric Power Corporation of Samoa with development of a 1.5MW solar PV plant and associated battery storage system.
- Advising Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency on numerous large roading alliance projects including the Waterview Tunnel and Connection project, Auckland Northern Corridor Improvement project, Christchurch Northern Corridor project and North Canterbury Transport Infrastructure Recovery project to rebuild critical road and rail infrastructure following the Kaikoura earthquake.
- Advising Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency on the Pūhoi to Warkworth Motorway PPP, one of the Government’s Roads of National Significance; including procurement of design, build, finance, operation and maintenance and acting as a key member of the Pūhoi to Warkworth Road PPP Procurement Alliance (True North).
- Helping Tonga Power and the Electric Power Corporation of Samoa with their respective solar energy programmes, including drafting and negotiating power purchase agreements with IPPs for PV solar power and associated battery storage projects.
- Providing ongoing advice to City Rail Link (CRL) on various aspects of the CRL alliance documentation including final insurance placement and expected variation of the alliance agreement to incorporate the C5/C7 work packages.
Ranked Tier One for construction.Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021 | Chambers Asia Pacific 2021