Tessa specialises in commercial property law, advising both domestic and offshore clients on a range of complex property transactions and overseas investment regulatory requirements.
Experienced in substantial and complex commercial property transactions, Tessa advises on the acquisition and disposal of commercial properties, build and lease contracts for industrial and commercial projects, and significant residential, tourism and infrastructure project developments. Tessa’s experience covers all areas of property, including industrial, forestry, office, golf course developments, energy projects (solar, geothermal, wind), healthcare, retail, apartments, residential land subdivisions, farming, and vineyards.
Tessa is Chapman Tripp’s national expert in New Zealand’s overseas investment regime and successfully obtains multiple Overseas Investment Act (OIA) consents each year for her clients. Tessa has been a member of the Overseas Investment Office’s (OIO) legal reference group and actively involved in the various reviews of the regime.
- Advising Tara Iti Family Office on acquisition, OIA consents and development of the world class golf courses and associated facilities at Te Arai, including Tara Iti and the two newly opened Te Arai Links courses
- Acted for PAG on establishment of a partnership with Precinct Properties for the $240 million acquisition of 40 and 44 Bowen Street in Wellington
- Acting for OTPP on its existing North Island forestry estate together with the acquisition of and OIA consent for the 24,000 hectare Waonui Estate in June 2023
- Working with various residential developers on the development and sale of apartments, townhouses and sections including Todd Property’s Okura development, Civic Lane Limited’s CAB project, Risland’s Neo and Meadowbank projects and Wilshire Group’s Tamora Lane development
- Advised InfraRed and Northleaf consortium on the property and OIA consent aspects of its $1.7b acquisition of Vodafone’s cellular tower network
- Advising Blackstone on its acquisition of a portfolio of seven Auckland office buildings from Goodman and GIC for $635m
- Assisting Eastland Group on a variety of projects including the redevelopment of Gisborne Airport and its long term leasing, its marina operations, the sale of its lines business, the property aspects of the TOPP1 geothermal power station and the development of the TOPP2 geothermal power station
- Assisting Shanghai Pengxin to obtain OIA consents for the investments in Crafar Farms in the central North Island, Synlait Farms in South Canterbury
- Acted for LOGOS on leasing and development of a temperature controlled distribution centre with a 2 hectare indoor floor area with Woolworths at Wiri
- Advising Evolution Healthcare on various transactions including the sale and lease back of Grace Hospital in Tauranga and the redevelopment and leasing at its at Royston and Wakefield hospitals.
- Member of the Property Council of New Zealand
- Member of CoreNet Global New Zealand Chapter