Michael is one of New Zealand’s experienced restructuring and insolvency advisors and co-leads our Restructuring & Insolvency team.
Focusing solely on restructuring and insolvency, he brings an unrivalled depth of knowledge and expertise to any distressed situation. For more than 15 years Michael has acted for all of the major New Zealand banks, significant insolvency practitioners, distressed companies, distressed debt and special situations participants, and acquirers of distressed assets and directors.
An acknowledged market leading advisor to distressed boards of directors, Michael regularly advises companies facing complex legal, regulatory and reputation challenges of insolvency. His experience includes advising boards of NZX-listed companies, high profile private enterprises, as well as a number of venture capital and private equity companies.
Michael is recognised as a Band 1 lawyer by Chambers Asia Pacific 2022, in the Hall of Fame by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2022 and as highly regarded by IFLR 1000 2021.
- Assisted ANZ with the liquidation of NZX-listed CBL Corporation Limited.
- Acted for KordaMentha as receivers of the Claymark Group.
- Advised Solid Energy's five major bank lenders in relation to the $450m voluntary administration – the largest and most complicated voluntary administration in New Zealand history.
- Acted for KordaMentha as receivers of Mediaworks.
- Advised receivers of various finance companies including Capital + Merchant Finance, Bridgecorp, NZF Money, Boston Finance, Belgrave Finance, Equitable, North South Finance and Mutual Finance.
- Lecturer for Commercial Transactions course at The University of Auckland Law School.
- Chapman Tripp board member 2012–2018.
- First Foundation Board of Trustees.
- Script to Screen Board of Trustees.
- Institute of Directors.