BA, LLB (Hons), University of Canterbury
1994, New Zealand
Michael co-leads our Restructuring & Insolvency team and is one of New Zealand’s most experienced advisors in this field.
Focusing solely on restructuring and insolvency, he brings an unrivalled depth of knowledge and expertise to any distressed situation. For nearly 20 years Michael has acted for all of the major New Zealand banks, significant insolvency practitioners, distressed companies, distressed debt and special situations participants, and acquirers of distressed assets and directors.
An acknowledged market leading advisor to distressed boards of directors, Michael regularly advises companies facing the complex legal, regulatory and reputation challenges of insolvency and distress. His experience includes advising boards of listed companies, high profile private enterprises, as well as a number of venture capital and private equity companies.
Michael is recognised as a Band 1 lawyer by Chambers Asia Pacific 2023, in the Hall of Fame by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023 and as highly regarded by IFLR 1000 2022.
- Advised the Crown in relation to its position as secured creditor in the voluntary administration of Mount Ruapehu Alpine Lifts Limited.
- Advised the secured creditor (Crown Irrigation Investments Limited) and the receivers (Calibre Partners) of Kurow-Duntroon Irrigation Company Limited (In Receivership and Administrators Appointed) (KDIC) in relation to all aspects of the receivership.
- Advised the receivers (Calibre Partners) of DDL Homes Ormiston Limited and DDL Homes Ormiston 2020 Limited in relation to a $60 million property development of Ormiston.
- Advised the receivers (Calibre Partners) on the pre-pack voluntary administration and receivership of Optic Security Group Limited.
- Assisted ANZ with the liquidation of NZX-listed CBL Corporation Limited.
- Acted for Calibre Partners as receivers of the Claymark Group.
- First Foundation Chair of Board of Trustees.
- Script to Screen Chair of Board of Trustees.
- Institute of Directors.
- International Bar Association.
- Co-editor IBA Insolvency Journal.