LLB (Hons), BA, University of Otago
2013, New Zealand
Emma is an experienced corporate lawyer specialising in mergers and acquisitions, private equity, joint ventures, corporate reorganisations and corporate governance.
Prior to returning to New Zealand in 2021, Emma worked in London for five years, including two years with magic circle firm Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer and three years in-house as M&A and corporate counsel at Athora, a European insurance and reinsurance group.
- Athora Group on its acquisition of insurer VIVAT N.V. and the concurrent divestment of VIVAT’s non-life business (Dutch M&A Deal of the Year 2019)
- Athora Ireland on the sale of its variable annuity portfolio
- Bank of America on the sale of MBNA, the UK credit card provider
- Cognizant on its acquisition of Zone Limited, a UK-based founder-owned digital marketing agency
- easyJet on its corporate restructuring for the purpose of continuing its European flying operations following Brexit, and
- Tesco on its £3.7b takeover of Booker Group.