George has particular expertise in mergers, joint venture activity and dealing with Commerce Commission investigations.
Specialising in competition, business and consumer law, George has appeared in the High Court and Court of Appeal on contentious competition law matters, and advises clients on Commerce Act and Fair Trading Act matters.
Before joining Chapman Tripp, George worked at the Commerce Commission as both a lawyer and investigator. That experience gives him unique insight into the regulator’s approach to the full range of business practices.
- Counsel to Sky on a range of trade practice and merger matters including its acquisition of Spark’s rival streaming platform, Lightbox.
- Working with local and international clients and counsel to secure regulatory approvals for contentious mergers and acquisitions.
- Advising major New Zealand businesses on the Commerce Act implications of proposed commercial initiatives including joint venture arrangements and other collaborative activities.
- Counsel to clients on cartel investigations launched by the New Zealand Commerce Commission.
- Counsel to clients on criminal Fair Trading Act matters and prosecution action.