George specialises in competition, consumer and regulatory law. He advises clients on M&A opportunities, regulatory investigations and trade practice compliance.
George acts for clients in civil and criminal Commerce Act, Fair Trading Act and other regulatory investigations. He also helps local and multinational businesses secure Commerce Commission, OIO and other approvals. George’s previous roles as a lawyer and investigator at the Commerce Commission give him a unique insight into the regulator’s approach to the full range of business practices.
George has appeared in the District Court, High Court and Court of Appeal on contentious competition and consumer law matters, both for and against the Commerce Commission.
- Securing Commerce Commission clearance for mergers like Mercury/Trustpower, Sky/NEP and IKO/RRG.
- Advising local and multinational clients on M&A opportunities, including managing related regulator correspondence.
- Acting for clients on financial market behaviour, cartel and trade practice investigations and prosecutions.
- Acting for leading New Zealand companies in Commerce Commission Fair Trading Act investigations.
- Advising clients on regulatory market studies and other industry reviews.