Luke has a wealth of local and international experience working for public and private sector clients on major urban development and infrastructure projects, and complex advisory and regulatory matters.
His experience spans plan changes, strategic consenting advice, central government regulatory reform advice, project management, due diligence, managing iwi and cultural matters, obtaining land use and subdivision consents and designations, development contributions, and drafting commercial side agreements through to Public Works Act advice.
An accomplished litigator, Luke has appeared in many council hearings, specialist tribunals, the Environment Court, and the High Court.
Luke is recognised as a notable practitioner by IFLR1000 2021.
- Advised Ryman Healthcare on planning for and securing consents for several $120m+ retirement village and traditional residential developments across New Zealand.
- Provided specialist advise to Waka Kotahi New Zealand Transport Agency on major roading projects, third party advocacy, project leadership and advisory matters; and was involved in the first NZ planning alliance to include a legal team (Ara Tūhono - Pūhoi to Warkworth motorway).
- Provided counsel to Transpower on the implementation of the National Policy Statement for Electricity Transmission to protect nationally significant national grid assets and enable Transpower's ongoing activities, at local and central government policy levels.
- Advised a number of clients and appeared before specialist panels on the Proposed Auckland Unitary Plan and Christchurch Replacement District Plan.
- Lobbied on behalf of the Retirement Village Association to improve and streamline consenting and planning processes under the Resource Management Act 1991.
- Advised Ryman Healthcare and the retirement villages industry on council financial and development contribution policies, including successfully advocating for substantial reductions under the Local Government Act development contribution objections process.
- Member of Resource Management Lawyers Association.
- Member of Infrastructure New Zealand.
- Elected treasurer for the NZPI Auckland Branch Committee.
- Short course lecturer on NZPI Principles & Practice of Designations under the RMA.
- Regular speaker at NZPI and other industry events.