Nick consults as part of our Māori Legal Group, Te Waka Ture, specialising in commercial legal advice to iwi and Māori organisations, he provides guidance on post-Treaty settlement transactions, joint ventures and collective iwi arrangements.
He is a leading expert on corporate structuring for Māori, private equity, businesses and charities.
Nick was the independent expert to the Parliamentary Select Committee on the Limited Partnership legislation, one of the most significant structuring initiatives for Māori, charities and corporate activity in recent times.
An Adjunct Professor at The University of Auckland Law School, Nick is responsible for the iwi governance courses at undergraduate and masters levels. He is also a contributing author to the Laws of New Zealand and co-author of Wells’ Limited Partnership Handbook, both published by LexisNexis.
Nick led the firm as Hoa Rangapū Whakarae (Chief Executive Partner) from July 2016 to January 2021.
- Advising Ngāti Whātua Orākei on their treaty settlement, related restructure and ongoing issues with the Crown.
- Assisting Waikato-Tainui in relation to major governance issues including their recent review and first principles rewrite of their constitutional documents.
- Advising Ngāpuhi on structuring its commercial and fisheries activities.
- Assisting Ngāti Porou in respect of its forestry holdings and joint ventures.
- Helping over a dozen iwi establish the ICP as a collective vehicle to maximise the fishing quota of those participating iwi.