Luke has a particular focus on debt and financial markets transactions. He advises clients on a wide range of banking and financial regulation matters including corporate lending, property finance, consumer lending, structured finance and applications to regulators.
Before joining Chapman Tripp in January 2015, Luke worked in London and Hong Kong on debt and equity-linked capital markets transactions including Euro Medium Term Note and commercial paper programmes, convertible and exchangeable bonds, regulatory capital and liability management. This experience provides invaluable insight to New Zealand issuers looking to establish their debt programmes domestically or expand into offshore markets.
His combined international and local experience means Luke has a wealth of knowledge to share with clients through regular commentary on such things as domestic financial regulatory developments, new product types and the impact of European market regulation on New Zealand issuers.
Luke is recognised as an Up and Coming lawyer by Chambers Asia Pacific 2021 and as a rising star by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021.
- Assisted a subsidiary of Kāinga Ora to establish its wholesale MTN programme, create a sustainability financing framework for green and/or social finance, and with the subsequent expansion to issue world-first “Wellbeing Bonds".
- Assisted corporate clients with New Zealand secured and unsecured bond issuances, including Metlifecare on its $100m NZX-listed secured bond issuance, TR Group on its $75m wholesale secured bond issuance and Chorus on its $500m NZX-listed fixed rate re-setting bonds.
- Advised clients on structured debt issuances including Mercury's $300m capital notes issuance and Precinct's $150m subordinated convertible notes.
- Structured CCB and ICBC's New Zealand debt programmes for use and clearing in Hong Kong and Europe, and assisted issuers with various Hong Kong CMU private placements.
- Advised non-bank lenders and other clients including CFML Lending, RESIMAC, Turners and Pepper, on New Zealand lending regulations and securitisations.
- Advised on Kauri Bond programmes and issuances for IFC (including their inaugural green Kauri bond issuance), KBN, KEXIM, Korea Development Bank, NIB and Rentenbank.
- Member of the Institute of Finance Professionals New Zealand.