LLB (Hons), BA, University of Canterbury
2010, New Zealand
Joseph specialises in health and safety. He regularly acts for private clients and insurers defending regulatory and statutory matters, provides proactive advice around compliance as well as advising clients during health and safety investigations by WorkSafe and other regulators.
With in-depth knowledge of the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015, he also provides pro-active advice to clients on compliance with the requirements of the Act.
Prior to joining Chapman Tripp, Joseph worked at a magic circle firm in London. Previously, he was employed by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) and at another New Zealand law firm. His work as a prosecutor with MBIE provides him with valuable insight into how to best manage investigations and prosecutions by different regulators. Joseph has completed the Association of Workplace Investigators Training Institute and is a Certificate Holder.
- Appeared in the first successful defended hearing under the new Health and Safety at Work Act, which involved a multi-party prosecution by WorkSafe New Zealand.
- Appeared at the leading sentencing appeal under the Health and Safety at Work Act.
- Acted for a client who successfully obtained an enforceable undertaking after being charged by WorkSafe.
- Appeared in the successful appeal regarding the calculation of the “ACC shortfall" for families following fatal accidents.
- Advised on high hazard regulatory compliance for a major hazard facility.