LLB, Victoria University of Wellington
2014, New Zealand
Marcel has expertise across a range of domestic and international litigation and dispute resolution matters, including significant commercial disputes, judicial review, restructuring and insolvency, and international trade disputes.
Since beginning practice, Marcel has appeared as sole or junior counsel in a range of tribunals, the District Court, and the High Court. Included among those appearances are numerous applications for urgent injunctive relief to preserve or freeze assets, and to prevent the disclosure of confidential information. He also has experience in arbitrations and mediations conducted under various rules, as well as judicial settlement conferences and council hearings.
Marcel’s experience across complex commercial disputes, international trade issues large and small, and receivership and liquidation matters provide him with a broad knowledge base to help clients consider all aspects of their disputes and to present their most effective case.
- Advised New Zealand Steel on its successful judicial review of a decision by the Minister of Commerce and Consumer Affairs, not to impose duties on certain steel products imported from China.
- Assisted Fonterra Co-operative Group on a range of matters, including an intellectual property dispute, breach of confidence and defamation, and various other contractual issues.
- Acted for a major New Zealand construction and infrastructure company in its defence of claims, and prosecution of counterclaims, in an arbitration before the Singapore International Arbitration Centre.
- Helped clients on a range of international trade matters including the operation of free trade agreements, tariff concession applications, the working tariff and a number of import health standards.
- Obtained urgent injunctive relief for several clients including restraining the dissemination of confidential information, forced transfer of shares (in the High Court of Hong Kong) and various applications to preserve and/or freeze assets.