Specialising in competition and regulatory law, Sebastian is experienced in engaging with regulators and advising on merger control, cartel and other enforcement matters, regulatory matters and overseas investment. He works closely with clients across a wide range of industries, including airports, energy and telecommunications.
Seconded with Treasury for five months, Sebastian was part of a team working on the Overseas Investment Amendment Act 2018. This gives Sebastian unique insight into decision-making within this Labour-led Government, and a detailed understanding of the policy and legislative process.
Sebastian remains heavily involved in overseas investment advisory work and public engagement on further reforms.
- Advised Z Energy during the Commerce Commission's market study into retail fuel.
- Assisted various clients during engagement with Treasury regarding the Government's phase 2 review and reform of the Overseas Investment Act.
- Secured Commerce Commission clearance for merger and acquisition transactions, including Z Energy acquiring Chevron New Zealand and Gebr. Knauf KG acquiring USG Corporation.
- Advised various domestic and international clients on cartel enforcement matters, including Commerce Commission investigations and participation in the Commission's leniency policies.
- Advised clients about taking advantage of market power for an anti-competitive purpose.
- Assisted Christchurch Airport with regulatory inquiries, information disclosure obligations and setting aeronautical charges.
- Counselled Chorus on competition law issues and telecommunications regulation, including non-discrimination obligations, pricing regulation and the Telecommunications Act.