LLB (Hons First Class), BA, Victoria University of Wellington
2017, New Zealand
Zane specialises in complex commercial litigation and dispute resolution, with a particular focus on construction and maritime disputes.
He has particular expertise in the resolution of construction disputes, including Construction Contracts Act adjudications, and advises both carriers and shippers on a variety of maritime law issues including cargo claims under the Maritime Transport Act.
Zane also has experience in a broad range of general commercial disputes, including contractual, insurance and tort litigation.
He is a previous winner of the Society of Construction Law’s essay prize, for an article on the status of a contractor’s methodology in construction contracts.
- Assisting James Hardie in relation to weathertight homes litigation and building product liability, including the successful resolution of two significant class actions – one by settlement and one by judgment.
- Assisting a major international shipping company on a number of proceedings involving cargo claims under the Maritime Transport Act, including a current High Court test case involving potential liability for delayed cargo delivery.
- Assisted ASX-listed BlueScope Steel in defending a large High Court breach of contract claim relating to the sale of an ironsands mine.
- Advising a range of clients on various maritime law issues, such as ship arrests and coastal shipping regulations in New Zealand.
- Assisting Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency on a Construction Contracts Act adjudication claim relating to a motorway upgrading project.
- Member of the Maritime Law Association of Australia and New Zealand (MLAANZ).
- Member of the Society of Construction Law New Zealand.