BA, LLB (Hons), University of Canterbury
1996, New Zealand
With over 20 years’ legal experience, Geoff specialises in all aspects of commercial litigation and dispute resolution.
He advises clients on a broad range of issues and disputes including insurance, civil and commercial litigation, insolvency, construction and employment work.
Having appeared at all levels of New Zealand’s judicial system, Geoff has represented clients in numerous hearings, arbitrations, mediations and negotiations. As an experienced litigator and dispute resolution specialist, he is adept at resolving complex disputes on a commercially pragmatic basis.
- Acting for LPC against its former insurance broker in high value High Court proceedings arising out of material damage and business interruption cover placed prior to the Canterbury earthquakes.
- Acting for an insurer in numerous proceedings in the High Court, District Court and Canterbury Earthquakes Insurance Tribunal arising out of alleged defective earthquake repairs and rebuilds.
- Advising large employers on contentious and non-contentious issues including personal grievance claims, investigations, business restructuring processes, restraint disputes and Holidays Act compliance and remediation issues.
- Advising and acting for the Earthquake Commission in numerous residential claims, contractor and employment disputes, during the Canterbury Earthquakes Royal Commission of Inquiry, and in the settlement of Christchurch City Council's social housing claims.
- Acting for a large primary sector supplier in numerous financial recovery claims, commercial disputes and arbitrations.
- Acting for the commercial fishing industry on policy, regulatory and compliance issues. These include the Kahawai, Hector's and Māui dolphins, and New Zealand sea lion judicial review proceedings and appeals.