LLB (Hons), BA, Victoria University of Wellington
2018, New Zealand
Scarlet is an experienced dispute resolution lawyer.
As well as having broader civil litigation experience Scarlet has particular interest and expertise advising on environmental law, biosecurity and fisheries matters and the resolution of construction and insurance disputes.
Since beginning practice, Scarlet has appeared in the District Court, the High Court and the Supreme Court.
- Assisted James Hardie in relation to weathertight homes litigation and building product liability, including the successful resolution of two significant class actions – one by settlement and one by judgment.
- Advised an Officer of Parliament on a range of matters including compliance with statutory obligations, as well as Privacy Act and Official Information Act matters.
- Advised a company exercising statutory functions on a range of matters including biosecurity, COVID-19 lockdown response, enforcement and the proper exercise of statutory powers.
- Appeared as junior counsel for PauaMAC5 in the Supreme Court seeking a declaration as to whether shark cage diving was prohibited under the Wildlife Act 1953.
- Acted for EQC on numerous High Court proceedings in relation to earthquake-damaged properties in Christchurch.