LLB (Hons), BA, University of Auckland
2009, New Zealand
Sam is an experienced commercial litigator, specialising in construction disputes.
As a senior member of our Construction & Major Projects team, he is trusted by the firm’s largest clients to lead complex construction disputes, achieving excellent results in the courts, arbitration, adjudication and settlements.
He also advises on insolvency issues impacting construction projects, assisting insolvency practitioners in their role as receivers, voluntary administrators and liquidators.
Sam is recognised as a rising star by NZ Lawyer 2021.
- Advising principals, contractors, subcontractors and consultants on variation, extension of time and termination claims.
- Acted for a government agency in a $75m construction dispute over the progress of a key infrastructure project.
- Represented a private developer in a complex international arbitration related to the termination of a 5-star hotel fit-out contract.
- Assisted a large energy provider in a dispute related to the construction of its geothermal plant.
- Acted for a specialist engineering contractor in a dispute over the construction a wastewater treatment plant.
- Acted for a contractor in successful adjudication proceedings over a large residential development in West Auckland.
- Represented clients in contentious rent review disputes, most recently for a commercial precinct in Westhaven.
- Counselled receivers, administrators and liquidators, most recently appearing for the receivers of Capital + Merchant Finance in successful High Court proceedings to determine entitlement to a fund.
- Member of the Society of Construction Law.