With a reputation for managing and resolving complex commercial litigation and disputes, Justin is the head of our national Litigation practice.
He has frequently appeared as counsel in civil proceedings in the High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court, international and domestic arbitrations, and specialist tribunals such as the Intellectual Property Office of New Zealand.
Justin is one of New Zealand's leading media and intellectual property lawyers, with extensive experience in defamation, privacy, patent, copyright and trade mark litigation.
A member of Te Waka Ture, our Māori Legal Group, Justin has advised many iwi including Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei, on governance, Treaty of Waitangi, and Māori land issues.
Justin lectures at the University of Auckland, at both undergraduate and postgraduate level, in corporate transactions, iwi governance and intellectual property law. He is the author of the New Zealand chapter of International Copyright Law published by Globe Law and Business.
He is recognised as a leading individual by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2022 for dispute resolution and intellectual property.
- Acted as counsel to Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei in its landmark win in the Supreme Court seeking to uphold rights of ahi ka and mana whenua in Tāmaki Makaurau in judicial review proceedings against the Crown.
- Acted as counsel in numerous defamation proceedings, including the rare experience of appearing in a lengthy defamation jury trial.
- With fellow partner Matt Sumpter, acted as counsel to Fisher & Paykel Healthcare in long-running, complex patent litigation.
- Successfully defended the Ministry of Social Development in High Court judicial review litigation brought by Te Whānau O Waipareira Trust.
- Acted in both the High Court and Court of Appeal in the landmark Hosking privacy litigation.
- Advised and assisted Microsoft Corporation in the execution of a search warrant following a multi-national investigation into an internet pirate leading to one of the few criminal convictions under the Copyright Act 1994.
- Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand.