LLB (Hons), BCom (Hons)(Economics), University of Otago; LLM, New York University.
2014, New Zealand
Specialising in the conduct of complex commercial litigation, William advises clients on a wide range of commercial disputes.
William frequently advises clients on contentious property and contract matters as well as construction and competition disputes.
He began his career as a judges’ clerk at the Auckland High Court, giving him valuable insight into the full range of civil and commercial disputes.
He has appeared in the Court of Appeal, High Court and District Court and helped clients obtain urgent injunctive relief. His experience across the New Zealand court system means he can provide clear and focused advice on how to navigate complicated commercial disputes.
Outside the court system, William’s experience extends to alternative forms of dispute resolution including mediation, judicial settlement conferences, construction adjudications and dispute boards. With this experience he can help resolve disputes swiftly and cost effectively.
- Helped several landlords and tenants resolve significant rent-abatement disputes arising out of the Covid-19 lockdowns.
- Advised vendors and purchasers on conveyancing disputes.
- Advised major utility and infrastructure providers on their rights and obligations to neighbouring landowners.
- Represented James Hardie in its defence of leaky building class action claims.
- Represented ANZ bank in its successful defence of claims relating to the alleged mis-selling of financial products.
- Advised Kawarau Village Holdings Limited on its defence of a trespass claim based on the presence of underground retaining structures.
- Represented contractors and principals in construction contracts disputes involving major infrastructure projects in New Zealand and the Pacific.
- Advised clients on major competition and consumer law litigation.