Edward specialises in disputes arising from construction and infrastructure projects, and in building regulation and building product liability.
He represents clients in all forms of formal and informal dispute resolution processes, and under all major standard forms of construction contract, including the FIDIC suite, NEC3 and the NZS 391x series of contracts.
Edward is also on the board of the New Zealand Building Federation Industry and is also Chair of our Community Committee, which administers the firm’s substantial portfolio of pro bono work, as well as our community, sustainability and environmental initiatives.
- Representing the Ministry of Health in relation to a number of large hospital projects, including successful dispute resolution proceedings and settlement negotiations arising from complex delay and disruption claims.
- Advising a major New Zealand electricity generator on issues arising from the design and construction of a new geothermal plant, including claims against the Contractor for defective design and under the available business interruption insurance policy for lost generation capacity.
- Acting for a major New Zealand contractor in claims arising from an abortive infrastructure project in the Pacific Islands.
- Advising James Hardie on weathertight homes litigation and building product liability since 2002, including the successful resolution of two significant class actions – one by settlement and one by judgment.
- Advising Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency on a range of property and construction-related issues arising from substantial motorway upgrading projects.
- Building Industry Federation board member.
- Society of Construction Law.