Roger specialises in corporate and securities law. He advises on public market mergers and acquisitions, equity capital market transactions, business reorganisations, corporate governance and regulatory compliance.
Consistently ranked as a leading individual by independent legal directories, he is recognised as a Band 1 lawyer by Chambers Asia Pacific 2023 and Chambers Global 2020. Roger is also highly regarded in capital markets by IFLR1000 2022, and is recognised as a leading individual by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023.
Roger is a previous chair and was a board member of Chapman Tripp for seven years, and was a member of the New Zealand Takeovers Panel for eight years.
- Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board (OTPP) on OTPP’s NZ$1.115b acquisition of Spark’s passive mobile towers business.
- NZX-listed Oceania Healthcare on its NZ$57m acquisition of the Remuera Rise and Bream Bay retirement villages
- the New Zealand Treasury on Air New Zealand’s NZ$2.2b recapitalisation package, including the Crown’s participation in Air New Zealand’s $1.2b underwritten rights issue, and associated funding arrangements
- EBOS on its NZ$845m capital raise to part fund its acquisition of the Lifehealthcare medical devices business from Pacific Equity Partners
- Z Energy on a scheme of arrangement with ASX-listed Ampol for NZ$1.95b
- Precinct Properties New Zealand on its NZ$1b property fund joint venture with GIC, following on from advising the independent directors of Precinct on the internalisation of its management from AMP Haumi Management for NZ$215m, and a $250m innovative placement and supersized share purchase plan equity capital raising
- The Selwyn Foundation on the sale of six retirement villages and aged care facilities to listed retirement operator Metlifecare
- Arvida Group on its NZ$345m acquisition of the Arena Living retirement village portfolio from leading global investment fund, Blackstone, and Arvida’s NZ$330m capital raising to part fund the acquisition
- Mercury on a consortium bid with PowAR to acquire Tilt under a NZ$3.24b scheme of arrangement whereby Mercury acquired Tilt’s New Zealand assets for ~NZ$770m enterprise value
- Metlifecare on its NZ$1.3b scheme of arrangement with Asia Pacific Village Group, owned by EQT Infrastructure IV fund.
- Chartered member of the Institute of Directors in New Zealand.
- Certified member of the Institute of Finance Professionals New Zealand.
- Executive officer of the Listed Companies Association.
- Former Chair of the NZX Legal & Regulatory Advisory Board.