BCom, LLB (Hons), University of Auckland
1993, New Zealand
Roger specialises in corporate and securities law. He advises on public market mergers and acquisitions, equity capital market transactions, business reorganisations, corporate governance and regulatory compliance.
Consistently ranked as a leading individual by independent legal directories, he is recognised as a Band 1 lawyer by Chambers Asia Pacific 2023 and Chambers Global 2020. Roger is also highly regarded in capital markets by IFLR1000 2022, and is recognised as a leading individual by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023.
Roger is a previous chair and was a board member of Chapman Tripp for seven years, and was a member of the New Zealand Takeovers Panel for eight years.
- Vector on the sale of a 50% interest in Vector’s New Zealand and Australian metering business to investment funds managed and advised by QIC for approximately NZ$2.51b EV and NZ$1.74b net proceeds
- Connexa (in which Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan (OTPP) is currently a 70% shareholder; 83% post transaction) on the acquisition of 2degrees' passive mobile telecommunications tower assets for approximately NZ$1.076b following on from OTPP’s NZ$1.115b acquisition of Spark’s passive mobile towers business during 2022
- the New Zealand Treasury on the Crown’s participation in Air New Zealand’s NZ$1.2b underwritten rights issue
- EBOS on its NZ$845m capital raise to part fund its acquisition of the Lifehealthcare medical devices business from Pacific Equity Partners
- Z Energy on a scheme of arrangement with ASX-listed Ampol for NZ$1.95b
- Precinct Properties New Zealand on stapling of securities and changes to its listing arrangements on the NZX Main Board, its NZ$1b property fund joint venture with GIC, following on from advising the independent directors of Precinct on the internalisation of its management from AMP Haumi Management for NZ$215m
- The Selwyn Foundation on the NZ$212m sale of six retirement villages and aged care facilities to listed retirement operator Metlifecare
- Arvida Group on its NZ$345m acquisition of the Arena Living retirement village portfolio from leading global investment fund, Blackstone, and Arvida’s NZ$330m capital raising to part fund the acquisition
- Mercury on a consortium bid with PowAR to acquire Tilt under a NZ$3.24b scheme of arrangement whereby Mercury acquired Tilt’s New Zealand assets for ~NZ$770m enterprise value
- Metlifecare on its NZ$1.3b scheme of arrangement with Asia Pacific Village Group, owned by EQT Infrastructure IV fund.
- Chartered member of the Institute of Directors in New Zealand.
- Certified member of the Institute of Finance Professionals New Zealand.
- Executive officer of the Listed Companies Association.
- Former Chair of the NZX Legal & Regulatory Advisory Board.