John specialises in corporate, contract and securities law, and mergers and acquisitions (M&A).
With a reputation in complex corporate and commercial deals, John advises clients on corporatisation and privatisation exercises, including M&A and initial public offerings (IPOs).
At the legal forefront for developing the private equity investment industry in New Zealand, John acts for a number of domestic and offshore private equity investors.
He is consistently listed as a leading corporate and commercial and M&A lawyer by independent legal directories. John is ranked as the only star individual, in corporate/commercial in New Zealand, by Chambers Asia Pacific 2022 and Chambers Global 2020. IFLR1000 2021 ranked him as a Market Leader in M&A and equity capital markets, and he is recognised in the Hall of Fame for corporate and M&A by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2022. He is also recognised by Legal Media Group's Guide to the World's Leading Private Equity Lawyers and Guide to the World's Leading M&A Lawyers.
John was named New Zealand Dealmaker of the Year at the 2019 Australasian Law Awards.
- merino wool clothing retailer Icebreaker on its sale to US-based VF Corporation
- WSP Global on the full takeover of New Zealand infrastructure company, Opus International Consultants
- Sumitomo on the acquisition of a substantial pine forest from Tasman Bay Forests Company for $370m
- Higgins Group Holdings on the sale to NZX and ASX-listed Fletcher Building for $315m
- GIC Real Estate, Singapore's sovereign wealth fund, on a $1b joint venture with Scentre Group – Westfield mall owner and operator – to take a 49% stake in five New Zealand shopping centres
- Vista Group International on a $92.5m IPO and NZX and ASX listing
- Japanese consortium, Oji Holdings Corp and Innovation Network Corporation of Japan, on the acquisition of 100% of Carter Holt Harvey's pulp, paper and packaging businesses for $1.037b
- Transpacific Industries, an Australian waste management company, on the $950m sale of its New Zealand business to a wholly owned subsidiary of the Beijing Capital Group.
- Skellerup board member.