John specialises in corporate, contract and securities law, and mergers and acquisitions (M&A).
With a reputation in complex corporate and commercial deals, John advises clients on corporatisation and privatisation exercises, including M&A and initial public offerings (IPOs).
At the legal forefront for developing the private equity investment industry in New Zealand, John acts for a number of domestic and offshore private equity investors.
He is consistently listed as a leading corporate and commercial and M&A lawyer by independent legal directories. John is ranked as the only star individual, in corporate/commercial in New Zealand, by Chambers Asia Pacific 2022 and Chambers Global 2020. IFLR1000 2022 ranked him as a Market Leader in M&A and equity capital markets, and he is recognised in the Hall of Fame for corporate and M&A by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2022. He is also recognised by Legal Media Group's Guide to the World's Leading Private Equity Lawyers and Guide to the World's Leading M&A Lawyers.
John was named New Zealand Dealmaker of the Year at the 2019 Australasian Law Awards.
- Morgan Stanley Infrastructure Partners on the acquisition of the StraitNZ business which operates the Bluebridge Cook Strait ferries from CPE Capital and others.
- Pencarrow Private Equity on the sale of its equity interests in Seqequent to American-based software development company, Bentley Systems.
- Direct Capital on its investment in Mondiale Freight Services.
- On the sale of cloud-based veterinary practice management business ezyVet to Nasdaq-listed pet company IDEXX.
- EROAD on its acquisition of Coretex Ltd, a New Zealand-based company engaged in developing and supplying world-class fleet management solutions, for a consideration of NZ$188.3m.
- Mondiale Freight Services Limited on its merger with VISA Global Logistics Pty Ltd (VISA).
- Skellerup board member.