LLB (Hons), BSc, University of Otago
2014, New Zealand
Tom specialises in corporate and securities law, with a focus on mergers and acquisitions (M&A), and private equity.
He advises clients on a broad range of corporate transactions including private M&A, takeovers and capital raisings. Tom also has experience assisting clients with regulatory matters, including under the Overseas Investment Act, and corporate governance matters.
Tom re-joined Chapman Tripp in 2021 after a period working in London for the leading US law firm Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton. He was recognised as a Rising Star by NZ Lawyer in 2023.
- Kiwi Group Holdings on the sale of Kiwi Wealth to Fisher Funds for NZ$310m.
- Infratil in connection with the establishment of Mint Renewables, a renewable energy platform focused on Australia.
- FNZ on its transformational merger of Hatch with Jarden Direct.
- A substantial product holder on its involvement as an investor in the NZ$85m capital raising conducted by NZX listed Serko Limited.
- Pacific Equity Partners and its portfolio company, UP Education, on the sale of its ACG Education division to Inspired Education.
- Cerberus Capital Management and its portfolio company, My Money Group, in the signing of a memorandum of understanding relating to the proposed acquisition of HSBC Continental Europe’s retail banking in France.
- PGG Wrightson on the sale of its seeds business to Danish company DLF Seeds.
- First Gas on its acquisition of the Ahuroa gas storage facility from Contact Energy.
- Beach Energy on its acquisition of Origin Energy’s conventional upstream oil and gas business, Lattice Energy.
- Affiliates of BNP Paribas as major shareholders in the initial public offering of Allfunds Group on Euronext Amsterdam.
- Goldman Sachs, the largest shareholder in ReNew Power, in ReNew’s public listing on Nasdaq through a business combination with RMG Acquisition Corporation II.