LLB(Hons), BA, Victoria University of Wellington
2019, New Zealand
Justin specialises in corporate and commercial law with a focus on data protection, commercial contracts, procurement, and governance.
He has experience advising on data protection, technology, and commercial contracts, as well as providing advice to a range of clients on best privacy and commercial practice.
Before joining Chapman Tripp, Justin worked as an in-house lawyer at the Office of the Privacy Commissioner (New Zealand’s lead data protection regulator) and at another firm.
- Advising a range of clients on data protection and privacy issues including responding to access requests and data breaches, cross-border disclosure of personal information, and best practice privacy-by-design.
- Advising the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment on commercial contracting and radio frequency spectrum issues.
- Advising TAB New Zealand on its service arrangements with a major technology supplier.
- Advising Kiwibank on technology procurement contracts.
- While at the Office of the Privacy Commissioner, assisting the Privacy Commissioner in issuing New Zealand’s first compliance notices under the Privacy Act 2020.
- While at the Office of the Privacy Commissioner, advising on the Privacy Commissioner and Independent Police Conduct Authority’s joint inquiry into New Zealand Police’s practice of photographing members of the public.
- Volunteer Lawyer / Rōia Kaitūao, Community Law Wellington and Hutt Valley / Te Whare Ture Hapori